Wednesday, August 26, 2015

July Garden Update

June and early July have been good for our garden. We have had plenty of opportunity to gather up cucumbers, peppers, and squash out of the garden. Let me tell you, it is a real pleasure to bring a fresh grocery bag of produce to family when you visit!
IMG_9093 IMG_9095 IMG_9145 
One late afternoon, I picked my dessert right off the bushes at Justin’s Papa Theron’s house. Sun-warmed blueberries are the cure for most of what ails you!
IMG_9189
Justin and I picked flat beans and snap beans from a friend’s garden and I spent the majority of one night snapping them and popping the ends off. We canned them up and have them on the shelf for great tasting sides at supper.
 IMG_9365 IMG_9388 
I have also been blessed to have been given some delicious peaches from some local farms that we peeled and froze. We also bought a box of firm, tangy peaches and made peach jam from them. Peach is my favorite jelly/jam/preserve.
IMG_9434 IMG_9416 IMG_9423 
We had a volunteer sunflower pop up as a residual of last year’s crop. I’m sad we didn’t plant any this year. We had our potatoes on this piece of garden.
IMG_9528 IMG_9529 
We also have an abundance of habanero peppers that we don’t know what to do with. I accidentally bought two habanero plants when I thought I was getting bell peppers. Luckily, our local newspaper editor loves them and is happy to use all I can bring him.
IMG_9748

No comments: