Sunday, June 7, 2015

June Garden Update

I am so excited for the summer months at our house. It means the garden is plentiful, the flowers smell amazing, and life is bursting with color!
I planted ten different kinds of flowers for my new cutting garden. I know it’s silly to plant annuals, but I love the idea of my house being filled with asters and wildflowers and dahlias.
IMG_8514
The caterpillars are back! They eat my fennel plant and I get the benefit of black swallowtail butterflies for the rest of the summer. It’s a win-win situation.
IMG_8723
I wish I had even a minute bit of floral arranging skills. My sister-in-law Amanda could make Martha Steward jealous with her flower skills but I get only as technical as sticking my pretties in a mason jar with a flower frog on top. I still love the colors and the smells my yard has to offer.
IMG_8732
Speaking of smells, my two huge gardenia bushes just finished blooming and my entire yard smells like heaven.
IMG_8801
I dug up some gladiolous from the ditch in the dirt road and transplanted them to our back patio. I stopped by our old house in town and the ones I transplanted there were all doing exceptionally well.
IMG_8937
One of our researchers on campus had done some work and had tons of fresh basil for free! I never pass up on fresh basil, so I went home and whipped up some southern pecan pesto. I then had to go out to the store and buy up some of my very own basil plants so I could have fresh pesto all summer.
IMG_8694
We have been picking squash, cucumbers, and bell peppers all the time! We have blanched and frozen squash, made stuffed bell peppers, and my favorite thing: made pickles.
IMG_8837  IMG_8915
We have made two kinds of fermented pickles so far: traditional garlic dill and some horseradish ones that I cannot WAIT to get my hands on!
IMG_8916IMG_8899

No comments: