Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Tennessee Mountain Christmas Trip

I mentioned that we had a mini Christmas gift exchange at Suzi and David’s house before Christmas. That is because Mama and Daddy decided to rent a cabin just outside of Townsend, Tennessee for a week between Christmas and New Year’s. Never fear, I still got my beloved Chick-Fil-A calendar and card from Mama! It has become an annual tradition.

On the way north, we stopped at the Varsity for Wyatt’s first visit. Justin found an old-school barber shop and got a traditional straight razor shave and a haircut. Poor Wyatt got buzzed a little too short thanks to my miscommunication with the hair stylist.

IMG_4807 IMG_4803

We had a ton of fun but managed to miss out on a single family group photo. We had a house full: Mama and Daddy, Sami, Suzi, David, Liam, Aunt Patty, Uncle Roger, our cousins Phillip and Claire, and the three of us. We managed to not kill each other and the guys managed to down several jars of Smoky Mountain ({legal) moonshine.

IMG_4814

IMG_4820

IMG_4821 IMG_4826

IMG_4872

I swore I would never take those old timey photos where you dress up like a saloon patron but I remember finding some from Justin’s Papa and Granny and the laughs they conjured up were worth the crazy experience.

IMG_4873 IMG_4877

We were on our way back from the flea market when Justin saw the helicopter service that we used for a tour on our honeymoon. They were advertising rides for $9 a person. I told him it was too good to be true but he called and that’s exactly what they were offering—a short up and down trip for about 10 minutes. Wyatt had never been nor had Sami so we took advantage of the deal and had a great time. Wyatt especially liked it because he got to sit in the front with the pilot.

PATK1342

Justin, Wyatt, and I got up long before dawn to visit Cades Cove in hopes that we would see lots of beautiful animals. We were blessed too! We got to see handfuls of deer, turkeys, and even a coyote. Wyatt enjoyed swapping between his binoculars and his gun to pretend he was hunting.

IMG_4878 IMG_4879

I didn’t get too many souvenirs. Most of the shopping I did was practical. I checked out the maternity store and stocked up on a pretty decent wardrobe. I was fortunate, however, to find this gorgeous tobacco basket. It is probably 4 feet square and I snagged it for $20! We had a great time and I look forward to seeing what other adventures hold for us in 2016.

IMG_4918 IMG_4921 IMG_4928

No comments: