Monday, April 13, 2015

April Flower Update

Time for the monthly round up of all the beautiful flowers in our yard!
IMG_6780 IMG_6808
I scored tons of these beautiful red tulips from a work event back in March. I love the bright shock of red they left me with. When all the flowers died off, I dug up the bulbs. I hope I can replant them next fall for a spring 2016 showstopper!
IMG_6781
Our peach tree put out blossoms that were beautiful! We recently purchased an assortment of fruit trees for our mini orchard: peach, pear, fig, satsuma orange, lemon, cherry, and plum. I can’t wait until I can walk barefooted to the side yard and pick a ton of fresh fruit!
IMG_6817
My white irises are blooming in the front of the house. I transplanted some that didn’t bloom last year but they didn’t bloom this year either. I think I waited too late. Aunt Faye said when irises don’t bloom it’s because they have gotten too deep into the ground and need to be dug up. Maybe next year!
IMG_6930 IMG_7021
I snapped these beautiful pear blossoms off the tree in the chicken coop. I love the little black dots that appear and the blooms begin to age.
IMG_6994 IMG_6988 IMG_7015 IMG_7231
Some other plants that are in the yard have been blooming out too (L-R): dogwood, native azalea, ladybug on my ferns (still alive from last year-holla!), and pink flowering almond. I really didn’t remember this from last year, but my native azaleas smelled DIVINE!
IMG_7242 IMG_7416
I planted some bulbs from Lowe’s last fall and selected those that would bloom in a staggering pattern. As soon as my hyacinths died back, these happy tulips made their debut.
IMG_7419 
Mama and Daddy’s back fence is covered in wisteria. It is some of the best smelling stuff in the world! I have all intentions of getting a wisteria tree (as opposed to the invasive kind) so I can enjoy it in my yard too.
IMG_7502
This last plant is what I think is called bungle weed. I like its dark green leaves and bright purple flowers. I think sometimes weeds are only weeds because no one appreciates them. To me they’re appreciated!

No comments: