Monday, June 6, 2011

Wyatt’s birth

I can’t believe it’s taken over a month to sit down and write about the day our sweet boy made his debut! I really though with all of the super-mama-bloggers that get this stuff cranked out that it would be a piece of cake. I have made the transition to motherhood and I am slowly but surely adapting to the million changes in my life.

After discussing with my doctor that a c-section was necessary, we set the date for May 4, 2011.

The night before, Justin and I went out to eat with his mama and daddy, sister and brother-in-law and our niece and nephews as a “last hurrah” before Wyatt and to celebrate my 25th birthday (which was the Friday after he was born).

The following morning (Wednesday, May 4) Justin and I got up bright and early and snapped our final picture together as non-parents and made our way to Tifton to check in to the hospital.

Last Pre Baby Picture

After answering a million questions with the OB nurses and getting hooked up to the monitor, I was able to rest a bit because my surgery was the last scheduled one of the day and wasn’t until noon at least. Our parents and siblings visited with us and headed down to get lunch with the promise that it would be a while longer before I was rolled back to the operating room. Soon after they left, the nurse came in and told me it was time. I had a mini-freakout because I wanted to see my mama and daddy before they took me back but I dealt with it. They let me walk into the OR. My sister snapped this lovely shot of me:

IMG_0531

Justin had to wait outside and scrub up while the anesthesist administered my spinal block, which was the craziest sensation I have ever experienced.

IMG_0534

Soon after, Dr. Brickman began the surgery. I was so emotional and weepy that my glasses kept slipping down my face. I was getting so frustrated that I couldn’t see Justin, who was by my side with the camera snapping away.

At 1:05 p.m. our lives changed forever as Wyatt Scottie Cook entered our lives with the most beautiful, quiet cry I have ever heard. He weighed 7 lbs., 11.9 oz. and was 20 1/2” long.

Justin did a great job telling me everything that was going on, all-the-while snapping pictures.

100_0016

(My very first glimpse of my sweet baby boy!)

The nurses let him carry him out to the massive crowd of our family and they weighed him while my doctor closed up my incision.

IMG_0544

There were no less than five cameras, a video camera, and countless cell phone cameras trained on our little one to fully document every single moment of his big day!

Justin and I were able to spend a few quite minutes together for the first time as a family in the recovery room. Let me tell you-that was pure bliss! If I could bottle up that feeling and sell it, I could cure world hunger with all the money I’d have!

100_0035

We had a steady stream of family and friends visiting and spending time with Wyatt. He is such a wonderful baby and the whole experience was just wonderful! Justin was (and still is!) the best dad; he changed every diaper for the first two days and brought Wyatt to me when he was hungry or if I just wanted to hold him.

Here he is ready to go home from the hospital. They released us on May 6—my 25th birthday!

100_0140 100_0141

And that is the story of our favorite little man’s birth!

No comments: