Friday, February 5, 2016

It’s a girl! And she has a name!

IMG_5608

When Justin, Wyatt, and I went to my appointment to find out the gender of baby Cook #2, he mentioned that he wanted to be the only one who knew because he wanted to surprise me. I agreed knowing that he wanted to be in on the fun and he really liked the idea of torturing our sisters by knowing what we were having and not telling them. I patiently waited and didn’t bug him too much about when he was going to reveal the big news. He said “when” was part of the surprise. I was at home getting things ready for supper one day when Justin arrived home from picking Wyatt up from school. Wyatt and Justin each had gift bags. When I opened the one from Wyatt there was a red and black tutu gift set. I couldn’t believe it! Crying, I asked Justin if that meant what I thought it did and he said that yes, we were definitely having a girl. It was so incredibly sweet for him to shop for girl clothes and make it a surprise for me. I think it turned out even better than I could have hoped for.

IMG_4566IMG_4571IMG_4568

What we had definite trouble with was her name. I was stressing so much because I felt like we needed to have that one checked off the list. The only problem was that there were so many names and none of my choices were overlapping with Justin’s. From before the time I even knew I was having a girl, Georgia stuck out at me. I loved Jorja Fox’s name (Sara Sidle from CSI) without the funky spelling. It is so classic and feminine and yet it could be a B.A. take-no-prisoners tough gal’s name too. Justin had his heart set on Loretta but I just couldn’t bring myself to compromise. I didn’t feel the name at all and never warmed to it. One day when I was particularly stressed Justin told me to close my eyes and tell him what I really wanted her name to be. Georgia came right out with little hesitation. He had been on board with the name but pressure from our sisters was weighing him down. I agreed that we could compromise and name her Georgia Loretta although my heart wasn’t in it 100%. I guess that’s why this man has my heart; he knows me through and through. He said he didn’t want to do that and asked what I thought about Lou. I saw this as an opportunity to meet him in the middle. It’s an old-fashioned name, which is what we liked, and it seemed to flow well with Georgia. I could see it working.

IMG_5592

We tried out several other name combinations and we kept coming back to Georgia Lou. We decided that was it. Just like that our baby girl had a name!

Of course, Justin wouldn’t leave it at just that. He had to draw it out a little longer for our sisters. They play right into his hand. The first night Justin texted them and my mama and his mama were in bed already. He waited until the next day and when he knew he had the whole group’s attention, he let the cat out of the bag. I love to see their reactions and being able to capture it as a whole conservation was worth the text!

Now that she officially has her name, I have found myself saying it as much as possible to get used to it. It is weird saying “Georgia” instead of “her” or “the baby” but now that it has had a week to sink in, I couldn’t imagine her having any other name!

Yes, the jokes have already started rolling in but I don’t care. No she isn’t going to be called “Georgia Grown.” No, Brother-In-Law, you cannot call her Bulldogs and get away with it. I know it’s all in good fun. Wait until she grows up to be a sassy little thing like her mama. She will set them straight! Smile

IMG_5598 IMG_5599 IMG_5600 IMG_5601 IMG_5602 IMG_5603 IMG_5604 IMG_5605 IMG_5606   IMG_5612

No comments: