Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Six months of reading

I have discovered that Georgia has a FANTASTIC online library program through our local libraries called Georgia Download Destination. This allows you to check out Kindle books and audiobooks and download them immediately. The only draw back is that each library system only has a set number of licenses for each book and some of the newest titles aren’t available.

I have a 20 minute commute to work and back each day and frequent trips to Atlanta, so I usually finish a book within two weeks. Hey--don’t judge me—that’s two more books a month than I get the time to read!

So here are the books I have “read” as ebooks or audiobooks in the past six months: the good, the bad, and the “meh.” Check out my full list on Goodreads if you like!

The Good

65403   975377 

Dorothea Benton Frank’s books feature the Lowcountry and are pretty easy light reads.

199784 395922 6068551 

13335037 11735983 

I know, I look like a teenage girl, but sometimes I like to stop thinking and just escape! I really liked the Divergent series and can’t wait for the new book to come out this fall. It’s being developed into a movie series now too! The Shiver series is a little trying but I’m making it through the second book, Linger, right now.

   7134202 9682816 13708346 

The old standbys: James Patterson and Patricia Cornwell. They never let me down.

8442457

Gone Girl was one that I druuuuuggg my way through this book and then BAM!!!! major plot twist caught my attention. It’s a pretty good one.

2429135

I never got on this bandwagon until just recently. This book, the first in the series, was pretty good, but I just can’t get into the second one. I have a feeling the movie actually might be better than the book.

  9461872

I read the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books my freshman year of college and this is the last book in the series, where the girls are all grown up. I cried with this book. So sad!

     1718791

I read The Devil in the Junior League by Linda Francis Lee and loved it so I knew I’d like this one. Light on substance, it was a breeze to make through. It’s not literary masterpiece, but fun just the same.

15985348

I discovered the Sookie Stackhouse books about three years ago and then True Blood last year, so I was highly anticipating this book. I actually paid money for it instead of waiting for a library edition. It seemed rushed, cookie cutter planned out, and a last ditch effort to wrap up the series. This is the only book I read after watching the TV series, and it was too nice and fluffy for me. I think HBO ramped this series to a gritty, serious level.

 

The Bad

I didn’t even finish these books. I just couldn’t get into them.

1656001

I loved the Twilight series as a simple escape from everyday living, but I just couldn’t make it through The Host. I tried it on Kindle and on audio. I just couldn’t bring myself to finish it. 9972053

Betty White is pretty hilarious, but this was more of a grandma’s advice book rather than witty commentary. I think Tina Fey and Ellen DeGeneres (mostly Tina) spoiled me on semi-biographical comedic books. They set the bar way too high.

 

The “Meh”

I finished these probably because I didn’t have a backup book available and was driving a lot. I could not care less to recommend them to anyone.

11000767

I think I finished this book but it was anti-climatic and painful to make it through. I’d leave it behind if I were you.

1 comment:

I Do Declare said...

My mom LOVES DBF books. I feel so behind on my summer reading list. I did read Revenge Wears Prada (sequel to The Devil Wears Prada). I loved The Devil, but Revenge was kind of underwhelming...