Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My iPhone App Recommendations

I always get excited when I see a friend with an iPhone. Usually my first question is, “Do you have any cool apps to tell me about?” I found several folks who had boards on Pinterest about the apps they recommend and even a whole iPhone Mom blog for apps that moms can load on their phones for their kids.

I have a LOT of apps on my phone. They are almost all completely free and they might be less than great, but I keep them in case I need them some day. Here are mine:

Honey Sugah Dahlin iPhone Recommendation 1

These first apps are my go-to, use every day apps.

1. Facebook, of course {no explanation necessary}.

2. Google Reader, for catching up on my blogs. This one is a shortcut I created from the mobile Google Reader webpage.

3. PS Express- I don’t use this as much as I used to since the new iPhone update has red eye reduction built in the camera app now, but it comes in handy.

4. Pinterest, my favorite virtual pinboard.

5. Spotify, an online streaming music service. I pay $9.99/month for Spotify service, but it’s well worth it. It’s like Pandora except I can generate playlists, I don’t have skip limits and I can share playlists with friends. Basically, you pay to “rent” unlimited music and if you cancel your plan, you don’t get to keep the music—just like Netflix for songs.

6. Twitter, to keep up with my Tweeps. This one comes on the iPhone when you get it.

7. The Weather Channel, the best quick-reference to let me know if flip flops in December are okay (which they have been here lately).

8. Instagram, a quick and easy photo sharing service that lets me snap a pic, apply a camera filter, and share to Facebook and Twitter in seconds.

9. IMDb, the Internet Movie Data Base app that helps me look up all kind of crazy trivia, actors and other factoids about movies and TV shows I might be watching at the time.

Honey Sugah Dahlin iPhone app recommendation 2

1. Nike+ iPod, the app that syncs with a chip in my sneakers to tell me how far I’ve walked, my route, and my time. This is awesome. You have to have Nike+ shoes and the transmitter costs $19, but it’s really worth it!

2. Pandora, online music streaming. This is different from Spotify because it lets you select an artist you like and it will play similar music, rather than a set playlist.

3. Dish Network, sets my DVR with a SlingBox attached to my DVR at the house. That way if I hear about a great new show or something coming on TV and I’m not home, I can set my DVR remotely. It also lets me watch my DVR recordings remotely. This was pretty neat when the SEC championship game was on. Justin was able to watch the game in the car on the way to dinner and it didn’t delay our dinner date.

4. Shazam, a neat app that “listens” to a song or commercial and identifies the artist, song, and even provides a link to iTunes to purchase it. Marketers are starting to include the Shazam logo on TV commercials to link to websites for more information.

5. Weird Facts, a neat app with random weird facts about any and everything. This is a great time waster when waiting for appointments.

6. Talking Tom, a silly cat that repeats everything you say in a crazy voice. My nephews and niece love this one.

7. Bump, a fast file transfer app. This app is great for when iPhone users both have it downloaded. You can simply bump phones to quickly transfer photos and contacts. There is also a new messenger app that comes in handy when I want to send Justin or my MIL several photos or videos of Wyatt at one time.

8. Walgreens, an app that shows the nearest Walgreens location, allows you to upload and order prints, and even view the weekly circular.

9. My Verizon, an app that lets me view our bill, track usage, and pay our bill every month.

10. Sudoku2, a free app that is great for playing Sudoku without a book and a pencil

11. iDefibrillate, simulates what it’s like to use an AED for CPR. Justin just taught Mama, my SIL and BIL at a CPR class the other day and we didn’t have the simulators. It was neat to just be able to download one. I paid $0.99 for this one. It’s pretty much a one-time use, but I think I’ll keep it since I paid for it.

12. Blitz, pretty much the Bejeweled game

WHEW! I have been a lot more long-winded than I thought I would be. I have another page and a half so I guess I will pick back up tomorrow with the rest.

Let me know if you have any recommendations for some apps!

No comments: