Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What I love about MY south: Manners

My South

There are so many great things about living in the South. My mama’s always a stickler for good manners. In fact, every time I walked out the door to go somewhere, she told me to “have fun and mind your manners.” We were always very polite kids, but my mom was so impressed when we moved to Georgia about kids saying “Yes, ma’am” and “No, sir.” It quickly became a rule to use those phrases. It is so much nicer than “Yeah” and “Nope.” I will definitely have my kids adopt this phrasing too. I always get laughs from people calling into work when I reply with a “Yes, sir.” They always tell me they’re not that old, but I think it’s a good practice and is a true show of courtesy.

Another thing done quite frequently in the South is addressing everyone by Mrs. First Name. My in-laws are still and will always be Mrs. Desiree and Mr. Sheldon, despite their insistence to call them just by their first names. I have been trained for 18 years and it just goes against my nature :)

untitled

5 comments:

Summer Athena said...

oh darlin! I say Sir and Ma'am up here in NYC and people get so upset with me. I tell them it is a sign of respect.

Also, my hubs is from Cali and went to Boston College so he calls me parents and grandparents by their first names and it drives me insane!

Kate Spears said...

now that my friends are having kids, i love being called miss kate! cute post!

Sami Mastrario said...

Geez, i have so many vivid memories of Moma telling us that. And I even tell people who are my age "yes mam." Its just so ingrained in me, it comes out!

Unknown said...

That's because you were raised right. :)

Socially Savvy said...

There's a special place in Heaven for those with good manners!